Families, Food & Health
Home is where the heart is and family and home issues are at the heart of Extension personal health programming. Programs run through the WVU Extension Families and Health Unit offer a variety of nutritional classes and guidance, learning tools, outreach opportunities, and community connections. Programs are offered for all age groups and are generally free. If you are unable to attend programs, you can find information posted on this site regularly such as Sue’s articles, the Berkeley Views Newsletter, nutrition updates and notices, healthy recipes and more. Or, stop by the Extension Office – we are here to assist you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Your Families and Health WVU Extension Agent for Berkeley County is Sue M. Flanagan. Email Sue or call the Extension Office at 304-264-1936.
Visit WVU Extension’s Main Families and Health website for more information.
- Community Education and Outreach Service Berkeley County CEOS has clubs throughout the county…learning through regular monthly lessons, giving back to the community, and welcoming new members.
- Dining with Diabetes Diabetes is a common, serious and costly disease. West Virginia ranks 2nd in the nation with a prevalence of more than 10%.
- Family Nutrition Programs Feeding Mind, Body and Soul through Good Nutrition
- Food Preservation: Check here in the spring for our workshop schedule. If you not able to attend a workshop, use the links below to find the information you need. If you cannot print what you need call us for copies. We are always available to answer your questions. We want you to preserve the bounty of the season and we want you to do it safely!
- Germ City: Clean Hands, Healthy People is an interactive exhibit/demonstration designed to increase awareness of effective hand washing. It consists of classroom education for youths and Extension activities conducted during fairs, festivals, and community events. Contact us for more information.
- Love Your Heart WVU Extension Service helps combat the number one killer in West Virginia through free, heart health education.
- Maintain, Don’t Gain: Maintain your body-weight during the tempting holidays. This is a no-pressure, no guilt program that consistently sees over 80% success rate involving 100s of participants. You weigh in November and weigh out in January and receive support, encouragement and newsletter tips & recipes to help you succeed. You are so worth it!
- Stress Less with Mindfulness: Are you skeptical about the benefits of being mindful, of being “in the moment”, of meditation? Here is what we know about practicing mindfulness:
– It can lower cortisol levels and blood pressure
– It can increase immune response
– It can have impact on brain structure
– Mindfulness programs are widely used in Universities, Hospitals; Silicon Valley & Fortune 500 companies, & Pentagon chiefs. There are certified mindfulness instructors in every state.
This ancient practice helps people extend the benefits of relaxation into more areas of their daily lives. Mindfulness involves a combination of slowing down, doing one activity at a time and bringing full awareness to both outer activity and inner experience. It provides a potentially powerful antidote to the common causes of stress: time pressure, fragmentation, overload, distraction, agitation and worry. Participants will learn & practice the basic tools of mindfulness and learn how and why mindfulness works. Call for more information or if you have a group interested in attending Mindfulness classes.